An attractive and detailed late 17th century Robert Morden map of Westmorland which was published in Camden’s Britannia (London: 1695-1772). Bishop Gibson described the maps from this series as “much the fairest and most correct of any that have yet appeared”. The maps are also notable for using up to three different mileage scales, none of which are based on the statute mile!
This particular example is from the first edition of 1695 as there are a number of errors in the place names; for example, Skelsmere, Selside Hall and Martendale Forrest are described as ‘Skelmere’, ‘Selsted Hall’ and Markendale Forrest’ respectively.
- This is an original copperplate engraving with later hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 41.8cms by 36cms.
- The map is in very good condition with decent margins; centrefold, as issued. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on ‘Delivery Policy’ for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 300 years old.