A finely engraved and charming 17th century map of Dorset which appeared in England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland Described and Abridged… from a Farr Larger Voulume Done by John Speed (London: G. Humble, 1627-1646).
The maps from this series were engraved in Amsterdam between 1599 and 1605 by the renowned Dutch engraver, Pieter Van Den Keere (Latin name: Petrus Kaerius). The plates were then purchased in c.1619 by John Speed’s publisher, George Humble, who issued them as part of a ‘pocket atlas’ to accompany the larger Speed maps, hence ‘Miniature Speed’.
- This is an original copperplate engraving with later hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 12.5cms by 8.7cms.
- The map is in very good condition with close but adequate margins. There is some minor show through from the text on the verso and a small ‘wormhole’ in the title. Click on image for better view.
- The item comes displayed in a ready to frame museum quality mount.
- Click on ‘Delivery Policy’ for Postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 350 years old.