A decorative and detailed mid 19th century map of ‘Natal and Kaffraria’ (modern day Kwazulu-Natal and Eastern Cape) which was engraved by J. Rapkin and published in John Tallis’s Illustrated Atlas (London & New York: c.1851). The rare page of text relating to the map is included.
The Illustrated Atlas, published from 1849 to 1853, was the last decorative world atlas. The ‘Natal and Kaffraria’ map was typical of the many fine ones which appeared in this work with its decorative border and attractive vignettes which includes a view of the entrance to Port Natal and a fine one of Port Natal and the Town of Durban.
- This is an original steel engraving with original hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 24.6cms by 36.3cms (including imprint).
- The map is in very good condition with adequate margins. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on ‘Delivery Policy’ for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 160 years old.