A decorative and detailed mid 19th century map of Peru and Bolivia, South America which was drawn and engraved by J. Rapkin (vignettes by H. Winkles &J. H. Kernot) and published in John Tallis & Co.’s The Illustrated Atlas (London & New York: c.1851). The original page of descriptive text which accompanied the map is included.
The Illustrated Atlas, published from 1849 onwards, was the last decorative world atlas. The ‘Peru & Bolivia’ map was typical of the many fine ones which appeared in this work with its decorative border and attractive vignettes. Illustrated are views of the Cities of Potosi and Tarija in Bolivia; the City of Lima in Peru and a scene of couriers swimming across a river in Peru.
- This is an original steel engraving with original hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 24.6cms by 34.6cms (including imprint).
- The map is in very good condition with adequate margins. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on ‘Delivery Policy’ for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 160 years old.