A highly decorative and finely engraved mid 19th century map of the United States which was drawn and engraved by John Rapkin (vignettes by J. Marchant & J. Rogers) and published in John Tallis’s Illustrated Atlas (London & New York: c.1851).
The Illustrated Atlas, published from 1849 to 1853, was the last decorative world atlas. The United States map was typical of the many fine ones which appeared in this work with its decorative border and attractive vignettes. A Scene of ‘buffalo’ hunting, William Penn signing a treaty with Native Americans and the Washington Monument are depicted whilst homage is paid to Washington and Franklin with their portraits on either side of the map.
- This is an original steel engraving with original & later hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 34.5cms by 24.5cms.
- The map is in very good condition with decent margins. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on ‘Delivery Policy’ for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 155 years old.