A decorative and detailed mid 19th century map of England and Wales which was drawn and engraved by J. Rapkin (vignettes by N. Whittock & J. Rogers) and published in John Tallis’s Illustrated Atlas (London & New York: c.1849-1855).
The Illustrated Atlas, published from 1849 onwards, was the last decorative world atlas. The ‘England and Wales’ map was typical of the many fine ones which appeared in this work with its decorative border and attractive vignettes. Illustrated are views of London, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Oxford, Sunderland Bridge, Portsmouth Harbour and Doncaster Racecourse.
- This is an original steel engraving with original hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 25.5cms by 34.4cms.
- The map is in very good condition with centrefold, as issued. The top margin is close, also as issued and there is some minor staining.. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on ‘Delivery Policy’ for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 160 years old.