A detailed and decorative mid 19th century map of the Netherlands which was drawn and engraved by John Rapkin (vignettes by H. Warren and J. B. Allen) and published in John Tallis & co.’s The Illustrated Atlas (London & New York: c.1851). The original page of text which accompanied the map is included.
John Tallis’s The Illustrated Atlas, published from 1849 onwards, was the last decorative world atlas. The Holland (Netherlands) map was typical of the many fine ones which appeared in this work with its ornamental border and attractive vignettes. Illustrated are views of Rotterdam, sailing boats on the Dort and a rustic scene of Dutch peasants.
- This is an original steel engraving with original hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 24.9cms by 35.3cms (including imprint).
- The map is in very good condition with decent margins. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on ‘Delivery Policy’ for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 160 years old.