An attractive late 18th century view of Rochester, Kent which was taken from an original drawing by Turner*, engraved by J. Walker and J. Storer, and published in The Copperplate Magazine ( London: J. Walker, 1794). The original page of text is included with the purchase.
The ‘Turner’ who drew this view is in fact J. M. W. Turner (1775-1851) who would later to become known as one of Britain’s greatest ever artists. He began his career as an artist / draughtsman for topograpahical works including J. Walker’s ‘The Itinerant’ or ‘Copperplate Magazine’.
- This is an original copperplate engraving with later hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 16.8cms by 12.5cms (including title).
- The engraving is in very good condition with decent margins. Click on image for a better view.
- The item comes displayed in a ready to frame acid free mount.
- Click on ‘Delivery Policy’ for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 200 years old.