A finely engraved and attractive early 19th century view of the Churches of St. Mary and of St Cyriac and St Julitta at Swaffham Prior, Cambridgeshire which was drawn and engraved by the Reverend Cooper Willyams and Collyer, respectively, and published in The Gentleman’s Magazine (London: April 1815).
The Gentleman’s Magazine was founded in London by Edward Cave (pen name: Sylvanus Urban) in 1731. It was the first ever periodical to use the term ‘magazine’; coming from the French / Arabic word for a ‘storehouse’. Focusing on an array of subjects including politics, the publication became very popular reaching sales of 10,000 in its first eight years and over 15,000 by the 1740s. Amongst its many contributors was Samuel Johnson who first found regular employment as a writer. ‘The Gentleman’s Magazine’ remained popular throughout the 18th and 19th centuries but by the early 20th century it sales had dropped to the extent that it was finally discontinued in 1922.
- This is an original copperplate engraving with later hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 15.2cms by 11.3cms (including title).
- The engraving is in very good condition with decent margins. Click on image for a better view.
- The item comes displayed in a ready to frame acid free mount.
- Click on ‘Delivery Policy’ for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 200 years old.